I've been using SplashID as my password solution. See my earlier post about that. Today I tried to log in into the application to retrieve a password, but it turned out my user account was changed into null. Well... that's not reassuring.
After the initial shock I filed a support ticket to them, but I'm not expecting any miracles. The database has been lost in my bookkeeping. The next thing I did was checked my trustworthy(?) Acronis True Image backups. I had them running on daily rotation and this turned out to be the first time I actually needed it for a real situation.
They hid the "Restore files and directories" -option well. My laptop is configured to run backups for the entire disk, so the default recover-option is to restore the entire disk. In this case that seems a bit overkill. But in the gear-icon, there actually is such an option. After discovering the option (it took me a while reading the helps), the recover was user friendly and intuitive enough. I chose to restore yesterday's backup to the original location. The recover went fine, but SplashID database was flawed on that point. I simply restored two days old backup and that seemed to be an intact one.
Luckily I don't recall any additions or changes to my passwords during the last two days. It looks like I walked away with this incident without harm.
Update 7th Feb 2014: I got a reply to my support ticket. What SplashData is saying, that the password database is lost due to a bug (actually they didn't use that word, but they cannot fool me). The bug has been fixed in later version of SplashID. Luckily I had a backup to restore from. IMHO the software should have better notification about new versions.
After couple days of waiting I got a reply from SplashData. To summarize their long and polite e-mail: 1) the data is lost, 2) the issue is caused by a bug 3) upgrade to a newer version where the bug has been fixed. There are no good news for you, sorry.